Priscilla Seaborg,
Attorney at Law

Not Everyone Wants To Get Married

I believe that the law is here to protect everyone equally, and I am proud to represent both traditional and LGBTQ families here in Portland and the surrounding metro area. While the legalization of same-sex marriage has made domestic partnerships less of a necessity, there are more committed couples choosing cohabitation instead of marriage.

Simply put, domestic partnerships are for committed couples who cohabitate and seek economic and legal benefits comparable to those who are married. Oregon law has long recognized domestic partnership as a viable option if unmarried couples desire the protections and responsibilities of married people. Domestic partnerships are also useful for establishing joint ownership of home and other assets.

Important Legal Protections Domestic Partnerships Offer

With my guidance as an experienced and knowledgeable family law lawyer, we can discuss which types of documents address your needs, and which can help with legal recognition as a couple when the following issues arise:

  • Health and life insurance
  • Sick or bereavement leave
  • Housing rights and tuition reduction at universities
  • Parental leave
  • Medical power of attorney
  • Creating a will
  • Financial power of attorney
  • Domestic partner/cohabitation agreement

Who Qualifies?

Domestic partners fit into the following categories:

  • They are each the sole partner of the other.
  • They are at least 18 years old.
  • They are jointly responsible for the basic living expenses and maintenance of a home, although they need not contribute equal amounts.
  • They are not legally married to anyone else nor have been a domestic partner in the last six months.
  • They are not blood relatives in a way that would bar marriage.

Common Domestic Partner Parent Issues

I can also help domestic partner parents make arrangements for their children, which should include:

Contact My Office To Discuss Your Domestic Partnership Needs

Contact me by calling 503-505-6770, or by emailing me.